Friday, November 12, 2010

Setting the Record Straight

I’d like to set the record straight before we get too committed in this deal.

Not every blog I write will prove to be an inspirational masterpiece overflowing with words of the utmost importance. Could it be expected that every post would be filled with sentence after sentence of imaginative ideas and reflective insights that will inevitably result in a profound impact, possibly altering the course of life as you know it from this day forward…or at least until you get up from your computer! My ego would love to believe this is not true, but reality does tell a different tale!

These are the reasons I write. First, for me.  To prioritize and stay focused on what’s most important in my life, to help bring clarity to the thoughts that circle around in my head, and to work through some of the challenges I face in my days. Second, I write because I’m suppose to, and I know this is true because I enjoy it! And third, I write because I want to make a difference in this world and this is one of the ways that I can do it.

And why I am telling you this? Well, because I am really, really, really stepping out of my comfort zone by sharing with others that I write this blog.  It would stand to reason that if I am taking the time to write this, that I would hope to have people actually reading it!  Although that makes total sense, that's not the way it was working for me.  I was too chicken to tell people for fear of what they might think.

So this is what I want you to know for today, and tomorrow, and the next day:

1. I am taking myself off the hook. Sheeww, I feel better already! There is nothing I need to do other than be myself.

2. You can take yourself off the hook. Sometimes my posts won’t resonate, and that’s ok! We are all the same, but yet so incomparably and sometimes so complicatedly different. I just really appreciate that you’re supporting me and continue to check back in (or you could do it the easy way by subscribing…please!)

3. YOU are the only person who has your answers. Beware of trying to make someone’s answers fit for your own. Beware when someone is trying to convince you that they have your answers. We may have our own ideas, we may have our own insights, and we may indeed be a trusted resource, but we don’t hold your answers! Trust yourself, the answers are always there. They may not always be obvious at first, they may not be the ones you want, and sometimes they may be very difficult to make, but they are always within you.

4. It's important to have healthy outlets. Not only is it is a nasty trap to keep everything bottled up inside ourselves, but the stress, anxiety, and depression that accompany could prove to be potentially dangerous to your health and well-being. Get outside and take a walk-enjoy the scenery, breathe the fresh air, soak up some sunshine-it’s free and it’s the best! Keep a journal close by so you can jot down thoughts, feelings, or great idea’s you may have throughout the day. You could throw football with your kids or play some corn-hole with your neighbors. Take advantage of the opportunity to experiment and try something new!

5. We all possess the ability to make a difference in this world. What do you love, where does your passion lie, how can you start using your gifts to impact others? Just take one step and see where it leads, if you like it-take another, if you don’t-take it off your list and move on to the next.

6. Step out of your comfort zone…Yikes! It does take courage, it does involve risk, and it will most likely feel uncomfortable. But you know how it works, once you do something a few times it gets easier! Practice with someone that you trust and then start branching out.  And don't overlook being proud of yourelf and celebrating the steps you’ve taken.  All too often we skip over this because we don't want to look too full-of ouselves.  You're smart, you know the difference between the two!

That’s the jist of why I’m here, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment