Monday, November 8, 2010

Forget about calling it Politics

Have you ever been told not to talk politics? Do you know someone who keeps their political views and opinions to themselves because those are “private” matters? Do you ever argue with someone simply because they are for the opposing party?
When I think of politics it can feel overwhelming, even at times just a little too big to grasp. It’s confusing and can be very frustrating, leaving me with the feeling that it is out of my hands.

Well, I have an idea.

What if we were to stop calling it politics?

What if we were to take away that bigness of the word politics, and make it simple? What if we saw it as…

The ideas and opinions that we generate, the decisions that we make, and then the course of action we choose to take.

This feels more real to me, sounds a little more like “Life”.

So what has us sometimes unwilling to share our thoughts and ideas regarding what we believe to be important in life? I’ve jotted down some idea’s, you might have some others you can mentally add to this list.

We feel hopeless. It feels too big, so why even bother? What difference can one person ever make?

We avoid conflict. Maybe for some politics and arguing go hand and hand and the energy it takes to fight, just isn’t worth it.

We are Closed-off. Do we open ourselves to hearing what others have to say, or do we dismiss their views because they don’t align with ours? Maybe we are a little too stubborn, tightly holding our beliefs with no desire to “loosen-up” and expand our minds to the possibilities that are out there.

Fear. Maybe we are afraid that we might be criticized and judged for our opinions, or fear we might offend someone. Or maybe you’re like me, I am afraid to give my opinion sometimes because what if in return I am asked a question that I might not be able to answer intelligently?

With all that being said, wouldn’t It stand to reason that in a country of over 310,000,000 people, there are going to be a few out there who disagree with you? Absolutely there are! So why are we so invested in judging, criticizing, and arguing with each other, when we would all be better served respecting and honoring the unique individuals that we are. And we could even take it a step further by not only allowing others to have their voice, but also having a genuine interest in what they are saying!

So this inspired me to write a new bill, one that gives us the ability to reclaim personal responsibility for ourselves.

The Bill of Birth-Rights
by:  Julie Hogan


Free will. I was born with a brain. I alone am responsible for the thoughts I have, the choices that I make, and the actions that I take.

Freedom of Speech. I was born with a voice. I am the only one responsible for the words that come out of my mouth. How do others hear me? Are my words filled with poison, or are they full of acceptance, hope, and the encouragement that we all so desperately need?

The Freedom to Love. I was born with a heart. Do I offer kindness and compassion to those around me? Do I take in to regards how my decisions affect others, not just what’s good for me? Do I lend a helping hand when it’s needed, choosing not to judge the reason why it is needed?

The freedom to get out there and make a difference in this world. I was born with a body. We are meant to be present in this world, we are meant to get out and serve. For most organizations that are serving others in need, having a body there is just as imperative as the donations they receive. Also, do I nourish my body with the food, exercise, and rest that are necessary to keep me energized? Am I doing what it takes to stay healthy so I can enjoy life for as long as possible and continue showing-up?

Imagine how different our world will be once we all claim responsibility for our birth rights (which is really my way of saying blessings…I just wanted to make sure I was being politically correct!)



No comments:

Post a Comment