Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Breathe

Lately I have been noticing that I am overwhelmed. It’s like I catch myself not breathing and I don’t even realize that my body is under stress, when I’m really not doing much of anything! Well, I am doing something, but not anything that I would expect to make me feel this way. I notice it most when I am doing things like packing lunches, unloading the dishwasher, getting ready for work, needing to exercise, folding laundry, helping the kids get ready for school……..grrrr, cooking and cleaning, wiping the dogs paws, or filling my gas tank (when I get gas I always make of point of letting my husband know, truly expecting him to say “Wow Julie, great job, I am sooo proud of you. I know that putting gas in your car is such a chore, why don’t you let me take care of that for now on!") Well, truth be told, my husband does more on that list than I do. This is probably one of those times I should have kept quite!

Now this list that I just blurted out kind of sounds like a pity party, and maybe it is…..just a little. But hey, this is why I am doing this blog, to get the junk out. But also there is a point I am trying to get to, and that point is……I AM TOO BUSY! Most my days are scheduled from start to finish. In addition to my part time job as a hairdresser, I also have a full time job just keeping busy! For years I have been saying that this is going to change, but the only thing that has changed is that I have taken on even more without letting anything go!

So I am thinking that now is the time to slow down. I am out of balance and want my actions to line up with what I say my priorities are…...I think. Actually, my priorities might need a little tweaking as well. I am not sure how this will work, but I will start with the obvious…….not doing it the way I have in the past! This is going to take creativity and commitment. The reality is that most of the things on my list will not go away and are necessary. Things I actually enjoy, but could do differently. The other reality is, slowing down doesn’t only refer to my “activities” because most of my busyness takes place in my head. And being the big picture person that I am, I do struggle with taking first steps (shoot, there’s another one of my commitments for this year).

Baby step: making a list of what is most important for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment