Friday, March 12, 2010

Makin' a list...

Now if there’s one thing I know how to do, it’s make me a good list. I have a list for just about everything and anything. From the typical lists like the break-down of paying bills, what to buy at the grocery store, to who needs to be where and at what time. Or maybe it’s a list of goals, writing the pros and cons of something, or a list of the changes I’d like to see done with the house (the honey-do list). And ohhh, not to forget one of my favorites soon to come, making a list of what I’d love to plant in my flowerbeds this spring. So with this being said, it only seems reasonable that if I am going to figure out how to slow down, I’d first start with a list of what is important to me. Not only making a new one, but also taking into consideration some of my old ones.

Starting with the obvious (for me):

1. My list was old. I hadn’t taken the time to re-evaluate why the priority was set in the first place. For example, my husband and I chose to work schedules opposite each other so one of us would always be home with the babies. Well, the babies are now 9 and 11 and we are still working the same schedule. When Rob and the kids are home, I’m working. This is one of the things I’ll be taking a closer look at.

2. The list sounded good. I make lists that sure do sound good, and they are.….....on paper! But in order for us to achieve them there is a lot of suffering that takes place. They are not always realistic. Now this would be the type of list that pertains to money. Once I make a decision, we all gonna pay the price! I’m setting financial goals that are too big, leaving us no room, or money, for enjoyment.

3. Making cuts. This is where it starts to get challenging. How do I make cuts when most of what I am doing I enjoy doing, as well as need to do? I once read a quote, “say no to the good so you can say yes to the great” and boy do I feel like there are a lot of good things going on around me. I guess this would be a good time to get picky!

For the most part, this starts to cover some of the most important area's of my life. Family is number one, that’s all there is to it. My beliefs around money had to be in there, because I have a good deal of stress is related to it. And then, just how valuable is my time? I actually had some great opportunities to say "no" this week, and wouldn't ya know it, the world didn't come to an end!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment