Friday, January 14, 2011

All We Need Is...

I have a hunch. I would guess that anyone who lived through the 60's, anyone who has grown up in the house of someone living through the 60’s, or frankly, just about anyone living could inserted the same word to finish off this statement.

I just asked my 9 and 11 year old, and even they did! Although they don’t know the originator, they did know the word I was fishing for. I would guess that it’s made its way into commercials, movies, documentaries, and has been honored by many artists over the years. It is a clear and easy message that can be understood by all.

All we need is…

LOVE

To give and receive love is imperative for the growth and survival of human beings, it is absolutely necessary for a healthy lifestyle, and love provides the nurturing that each of us needs-no matter what our age. Love comes naturally…

Or so they say.

If this were the truth, then why is our world filled with so many struggling, hurt, resentful, depressed, and angry individuals?

Now I’m no PhD or doctor of any sort, I’m not a licensed therapist or counselor, and I’m not even a degreed teacher at any level… but I think I’m going to take a crack at this one.

They forgot to tell us!

Do you remember way back when we were in elementary school learning the basic needs that every human needs for survival? Well I just figured out that somehow all of our text books had a misprint…and no one caught it! (Boy, I’d hate to be the one who was responsible for that!) So I did a little research and found the missing information, feel free to pass it on to anyone that you think may need the update!

Love is acceptance and respect for each other and our individual preferences. Love is investing in ourselves and others enough to say we matter. Love is showing compassion.

Love is living. Living is learning, growing, thriving, and contributing. Contributing is being a part of each others lives, playing a role in our communities’, it’s paying it forward and giving back. When we give back it shows we care, it shows what we’re dedicated and committed to. And when we stand by our commitments we are a living example of what’s possible.

Because of love we experience joy, satisfaction and pleasure.

Because of love we experience sadness, disappointment and struggle.

It’s all one in the same.

This is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment