Thursday, December 9, 2010

Today is a Great Day!


I have this routine that I do each morning as I drive to work. It’s a habit I started years ago and it helps to get me “geared-up” and I also do it to start my day on a positive note.


I focus on my intentions for the day and how I can best prepare myself for the full work schedule I’m about to tackle. It’s been a very useful tool, keeping me focused on the excitement I have for my clients and my job, it helps me to feel more energized and motivated, and it also assists with getting the creative juices flowing.

What am I doing?

I have a mantra that I repeat to myself each day. I’m sure I look like a crazy woman talking to myself as I’m driving down the road…boy if they only knew! But it is so important that I talk out loud because it helps me to be aware of exactly the message that I am telling myself…

"Today is going to be a great day. God’s blessings are chasing me down and over taking me. I will have success in everything I do. I have a schedule full of clients that I love to be with and they love to be with me. Today I will communicate clearly so I am aware of the needs of each of my clients and I will use my expertise and creativity to best provide them with a great and achievable style (I am a hair dresser for those who might not know). I will do my best to not participate in gossip and to not judge myself when I make mistakes."

But what I have found by doing this for some time now is that I truly believed that I was giving myself a great message, but in reality, parts of my message are more focused on what it is that I don’t want, or my message is leaving things to chance, rather than me being responsible for making it happen.

Today’s going to be a great day…

Really, then what are you waiting for? I realized I was saying this to myself and I had already been awake for four hours. Why didn’t I decide right when I woke up that indeed today is a great day! I have a choice, am I committed to having a great day or will I wait to see how all the circumstances play out before I make that decision?

I will not participate in gossip…

This sounds VERY difficult to me, but if I were to say, “I will speak kindly of others and acknowledge the good intentions they have.  Or, today I will be open and accepting of those around me”. These statements are positive and they clearly state what my intentions are. They will make others feel good about themselves in turn make me feel proud of the choices I am making.

I will not judge myself…

Yeah right, and I know I’m not alone in this boat! We are our own biggest critics. We expect and demand so much from ourselves. But with (a lot!) of practice, we can even turn this one around. I started playing around with messages like, “Today I will be open to leaning from the choices and decisions that I make. Everything that I do today provides me with important information so that I can be better tomorrow. Today I will be my best. I am excited about all the opportunities that today will provide.”

What a difference these statements make. When I slightly change them and focus on what I want, they become empowering. They make me feel excited…I can’t wait to get each day started. I am excited about my life, I have a great family that I love to be with and they accept me even with all my quirks! I am excited to get to work, I get to hang out with my clients and have fun. I am excited that I am surrounded by so many people who are there to support me.

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment